Elevator Thoughts (aka Tweet): Amazing seats to Six The Musical by Toby Marlow and Lucy Moss at Seattle Theatre Group and Broadway at the Paramount Theatre. All-female cast/band portray the stories of King Henry VIII’s #six queen wives and find individual significance independent of a man. Packed energetic audience. Shoutout to the incredible Khaila Wilcoxon and Storm Lever! #musical #girlPower #Tudor
Synopsis from the Theatre: Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. From Tudor Queens to Pop Icons, the SIX wives of Henry VIII take the microphone to remix five hundred years of historical heartbreak into a Euphoric Celebration of 21st century girl power! This new original musical is the global sensation that everyone is losing their head over!
Reviewed Performance: 7/12/23 – Opening Night
Type: Concert-like Storytelling Musical
World Premiere: No
Several or Few Scenes: Storytelling several scenes
Several or Few Settings/Locations: Storytelling several locations
Prior Exposure/Knowledge Required: You might appreciate this more if you’re familiar with King Henry VIII’s wives. I personally only knew a little about Anne Boleyn.
Defined Plot/Storyline: Not really, it was 6 queens singing/telling their own separate stories
Live Band/Orchestra: Yes
Recommendation: See it if either you enjoy
- Pop diva or girl group concerts
- Or concert-like musicals similar to Striking 12, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and Pump Boys and Dinettes where the actors address the audience and tell stories (as opposed to acting out the stories)
Was This the First Time I Attended a Production of this Show: Yes
Would I See It Again 3 Years from Now: Probably not, but it was good
Rating Compared to Other Shows with the Same Production Value:
4 stars (Out of 5 Stars)
Equity Actors: The program didn’t mention this, but I’d be surprised if all the actors in a national tour show like this weren’t Equity.
Total Number of Actors: 6
Perceived Pace of the Show: Medium to fast
Length (Including Any Intermission): 1.5 hours
Other Rave(s) Not Mentioned in Elevator Thoughts
- Favorite Queen Divas: My favorite actress was Khaila Wilcoxon (Catherine of Aragon) for her animated expressions and attitude. For some reason, she also reminded me of Patina Miller. A close second was Storm Lever (Anne Boleyn), who wouldn’t stop mentioning her beheading. I recognized her voice from Summer The Donna Summer Musical as Duckling Donna. It’s good to see her back in Seattle!
- Tinder: I loved how they incorporated catfishing and swiping in Anne of Cleves (Oliva Donalson) story.
- Costumes: The metal-looking costumes were shiny, glittery, and brilliant. They sort of reminded me of samurai suits.
- Quips: The biting repartee between the queens was delightful. I especially enjoyed when the witty remarks were cutting. Clap back!
Other Musing(s) and Observation(s)
- Hype: As one of the most popular shows on-stage today, the excitement around Six The Musical show was palpable. The audience was enthusiastic and even a guy on the front row stood up and danced in the middle of a song. But like Hamilton, I feel like Six The Musical is overhyped. Both shows were obviously well-written and well-executed masterpieces, but the overhyped worldwide buzz around the two musicals made me expect more. That being said, if you ever have the opportunity, you should definitely see Six The Musical … it’s just no The Wiz, The Prom, or The Book of Mormon.
Theatre Company: National Tour with Broadway Across America
Venue: Paramount Theatre
Venue Physical Address: 911 Pine St, Seattle, WA 98101
Price: Medium to Expensive
Ticket Affordability Options: Seattle Theatre Group might partner with an organization you’re affiliated with for discount tickets. For example, I believe UW employees and students are eligible for an organization discount.
Dates: July 12 – 23, 2023
Seating: Assigned Seating
Parking: Paid street parking and paid garage parking. The best parking garage is under the convention center w/ the entrance on Pike around the Pike and Terry intersection. Last I checked, this is one of the cheapest, least busy, and closest garages. Alternatively, you can probably find street parking as you move closer to the West Precinct (810 Virginia St, Seattle, WA 98101). Do NOT park where the Paramount subscribers park. Last I checked, they usually park in the garage attached to the Cheesecake Factory. It’ll take you at least 30 minutes to exit that garage after the show.
Buy a Ticket or Learn More:
@showsiveseen Amazing seats to @SIX 👑 by Toby Marlow & Lucy Moss at @Seattle Theatre Group & Broadway at the Paramount Theatre. All-female cast/band portray the stories of King Henry VIII's #six #queen wives & find individual significance independent of a man. Packed energetic audience. Shoutout to the incredible @Khaila Anye Wilcoxon & @Storm Lever. Photos by Joan Marcus & Patrick Gray. Review: showsiveseen.com/6075 #musical #girlPower #theatre #Tudor ♬ Ex-Wives – SIX